Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A Two-Fer

March 9, 2015 
AAAH! 

This week was crazy! We spent the whole week running around (literally) so I could get to know the area quickly and find some new investigators. The last elder who was here left us without ANYTHING so we are basically opening this area. And it is super populated. Eesh. 

I spent so much time this week talking that I have almost completely lost my voice. Elder Taylor's Spanish is still coming along, so I spend the vast majority of our time doing the talking. Still trying to get him to be willing to take a dive off of the high dive, but can't quite help him to really get into the work quite yet. I am very excited to work with him. He will be a great elder. 

We ate with the bishop our second day here and we finished up the food by singing a song. He listened, and now I have an unofficial calling in the ward.... Haha. Apparently I am now the choir director. I am really excited about this because this gives me a greater opportunity to get the ward involved in bring more friends and family to church, and helping them become even more excited about the work of the Lord. 

I am a little intimidated, I must admit, at how much there is to do here. In addition to working with my own investigators there are a few less actives in this ward... Something to the tune of about 1,200. If this ward had even 80% attendance than it would be a stake or two. But I am very excited to do this! This is a great area, and a great opportunity for me to grow. I am very happy with the trust that the Lord has put in my by placing me here training, and I will do my best to make Him proud. 

That about wraps it up for this week. I love you all so much and I think about you all the time! 
Love you all! 
Elder Kennington 

Preguntas Bien Rapidito
Q:  How long of a drive/train ride was it to Chamapa? 
A:  It was a two hour busride from Toluca to the Terminal in D.F. and then another hour in Taxi. The guy tried charging us 40 bucks for it! D: 

Q:  What is the area like compared to Toluca? 
A:  Toluca is very flat. Here it is pure hills! But because it is 1000 feet lower than Toluca and I now have more oxygen to work with I have taken to running up and down the things to get to appointments. And these hills are gigantic! 

Q:  How are you supposed to handle drinking water in your apartment? At members’ homes? 
A:  Ok. Well, drinking water inside a house doesn't exist in Mexico. They have these huge jugs of 20L water that they sell in these little tiendas [shops] that are all over the place that we buy. 

Q:  Your elevation is about 1000 feet lower in Chamapa. Have you noticed a change in climate? 
A:  Yes, I can breathe here! It is also much much warmer. I must admit I am missing how nice and cool Toluca was. :) 


What my new area looks like


Monday, March 2, 2015 
Well. 

Things just got turned on their head. I have been transferred. I am now in D.F., in Chamapa. The Zone is Culturas. It is close to Naucalpan. And it is CRAZY here! So so many people! I saw one tree on the way over here, and it was painted on the wall of a house. :) Haha! 

It seems like the people here are good. Open, happy, and all around great. High hopes. And my new companion? Well... I am training now. His name is Elder Taylor. He is from Tampa Florida, tall and white as all get out, and worked as a cable guy before the mission. Haha. Very excited to work with him. We will spend a lot of time working on Spanish and contacting. :) 

This area is very new to me. I am a little intimidated due to the fact that I don't know it or anything about it, but excited because the Lord has shown a great amount of trust in me in giving me this challenge. Elder Taylor has a lot of potential, and I am very grateful to be able do my part in helping him achieve it. 

 Not much to report right now other than that. Elder Thompson stayed back in Universidad training as well. Was very sad to leave the people there. Gotta run now. I

 Love you all so much. 
 Elder Kennington 

 Preguntas Bien Rapidito 
Q:  Have you had any Mexican candy? How was it? 
A:  There are some good candies here. I am not a huge fan of the candies and the chocolates. What they do have, however, that is absolutely divine, are the cookies and larger savory things. All of the food here is very rich, and there is a particular brand (Chokis) that is to DIE for! It is like Chips Ahoy squared. 

Q:  What are your favorite Mexican treats or desserts? 
A:  Ummm... Probably the same. There is a really good drink here called atole. And sweet tamales. Yeah. I like those. :) 

Q:  What was talked about in your big conference on Saturday? 
A:  This upcoming mes and what we need to do to get ready. This mission has a goal for 500 baptisms this month, and there is a lot of work to do. 

Q:  What do you do to get packed up and say good-bye when you get transferred? 
A:  Well, I spent all day visiting the members and recent converts of mine, and then all night packing. ... Sleep? What is that? :) Haha. Then in the morning we meet in Terminal, and then talk with the other missionaries there and then find our new companion. 

Q:  You’ve mentioned mice before. What are the bugs down there like? 
A:  The bugs aren't too bad during the day. Some houses have bedbugs, but I haven't encountered that. Also, sometimes cockroaches are a big problem, but I have had the blessing of avoiding that thus far as well. :) Chinchas y cucarachas. :)

Saying good-bye to families and investigators we worked with and the area I worked in.









My new companion Elder Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment