Monday, August 17, 2015

Emotional Rollercoaster

This last week has been an emotional rollercoaster.

We had a lot of success in finding new people to teach and begin in the path to conversion. I have learned a lot about how important it is to establish from the beginning with our investigators why we are there and what our purpose is, and what blessings they can expect as they begin to live the Gospel. In that, we have found some good new people who are ready to start progressing.

We spent a lot of time working with the hermanas in our district, trying to help them find new investigators and get their areas really going. They have been struggling really hard. One of the sisters just finished up her mission today (today is changes. Elder Puca and I are staying together here in Haciendas).

Also. You remember the older hermana that I mentioned in our last email? That we had to break into her house to help her because she had fallen? She passed away Monday. We were very sad about that. I had really enjoyed visiting her and trying to keep her happy and animated. Looking back on those experiences I am coming to realize that she did much more for me then I ever did for her. I learned a lot about what it means to have that Christlike love, charity, and to allow someone to feel of that.

The other experience for the week.

Elder Puca and I were getting back into the house this last Friday, when I got a call from the offices. It was Elder Thompson (my companion back there from Universidad). He told me that he had to go home from his mission six months early. His father had passed away suddenly from a heart problem, and he was needed back at his home. ... My heart broke.

Elder Thompson has been the best companion that I have had in my mission. I already miss him like crazy, even though I didn't see him that often anyway. I learned so much with him, and grew even more. He changed my mission. If you are reading this, I beg you to keep him and his family in your prayers. They really need it right now.

Anyway, that is about it for time and for this week. I hope that you all have an incredible week, and that you find someone new to serve and love.

Church is true!
Elder Kennington

Preguntas Bien Rapidito
Q:  Where specifically in Argentina is Elder Puca from? 
A:  He is from the North, from Jujuy. Apparently it is very hot there. 

Q:  What is typically grown in a Mexican home garden? 
A:  Typically Mexicans don't have gardens... Those who live on the outskirts of the urban areas have their fields (which are usually FULL of corn for the tortillas and for food for the animals), and then the ones in the city might have the occasional pot with herbs and the like. 

Q:  Do the families in the pueblos keep other animals besides dogs? Any chickens? Or bees? 
A:  On the outskirts, yes. Chickens, cats, and sometimes a hamster or two. Lots of birds. Parakeets, parrots, etc. I have only seen bees once on my mission, in my first area. :) 

Q:  Any more thoughts about birthday wishes? Besides socks? 
A:  Letters from people would be nice. I don't have time to really read in depth the emails I receive, and it is always nice to have something to peruse on a P Day. :) Chocolate, please. Minty things. Chocolate here is rather expensive and not the same, and tasty minty items that aren't chewing gum are nowhere to be found. I need a really good looking green tie (still haven't tracked one down :). Um.. Something for Elder Puca (a treat or something small). A fancy pen is never amiss. Photos. I hardly recognize most of my handsome family now... :)

A photo from the mini MTC activity held in their ward.  President and Sister Whitehead attended along with the sister missionaries.  Turn-out from the youth was amazing and enthusiastic.
You can see Elder Kennington on the back row far left.

No comments:

Post a Comment