Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Sherlock and Watson

Hiya!! 

This week was interesting. We worked very very hard trying to find people to teach because right now we don't have any progressing investigators. The major struggle that we are having and the reason we don't really have anyone right now is because literally 98% of the people that we teach don't live in our area. They are from De Effe (the Federal District State of Mexico) and surrounding areas, so we have tons of contacts and first lessons, and nothing to show for it.. Getting people to come to church is like pulling teeth, both among most of the members and the investigators. The ward here has more than a hundred people, and we have an average right now of about 45 people showing up... We have our work cut out for us! Thank heavens the bishop here is incredible. Very focused on his duties and responsibilities. I have learned a lot from his example about how I can be a better missionary.

Once again I had another really bad sick day; the worst yet. It was kind of like the first two rolled into one, with a few other stomach problems thrown in, and I was forced to take one day in the house. I am feeling much better now, but when it came to about four o'clock in the afternoon I was asking Elder Medina to review the section in the mission manual about dedicating graves so that he could do mine the following day. Haha. 

We did have one incredible experience this week. We were out contacting one morning and we felt impressed to contact a woman who was saying goodbye to someone at her door. As we approached with the words "Hi, how are you, we are missionaries" she said, "I know Elders. Will you come in for a second?" As it turns out she is an inactive member, and has been for four years. She went inactive because her mother, who has 94 years, has been extremely sick for that long, and she was caring for her mother day and night all day every day. She asked if we could give her a blessing. We walked into the room where her mom was, and the only person I have ever seen lying in a bed weaker was my father when he was millimeters from death. All she could do was simply lie there staring at the ceiling and breathe. As we laid our hands on her head and began to give her a blessing, I felt the sheer amount of love that the Lord has for this beautiful woman fill me up from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. It was the kind of love that comforts beyond words, and blesses beyond comprehension. She doesn't have much time left here, but I know that she will have a reception better than all others waiting for her on the other side. It was incredible how thin the veil was that morning. 

I am out of time for this email, but I just wanted to bear my testimony quickly that I know Heavenly Father lives, and that He loves each one of us more than we can possibly imagine. He wants nothing more than to bless us. If we trust Him and love Him in return, through the sun AND the rain, we WILL see His hand in all things, and be grateful. I promise this, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Thank you so much for your love and support, as always! I pray for you, love you, and think about you often. 

Ta ta!
Elder Kennington

Quick Q&A:
Q: Any fun(ny) languages gaffes this week? 
A: Not this week, unfortunately... Haha. Will keep you updated.

Q: Weather there this time of year? Still raining all night? 
A: The raining season is over, so everything is bone dry right now! Ah!! Heeeellllllppppp!

Q: When is your next zone conference? 
A: We have them every first Tuesday of the month.

Q: Where do you use the computer to do email in Toluca? 
A: There is a little internet cafe down the street from our house. :)

Q: What is something you wish Utah had that Mexico does? 
A: Rootbeer, more inexpensive chocolate, and sane drivers in the road. (Mom Note: I'm not sure he read the question correctly...)

Q: Are you still just eating cold cereal for breakfast?  
A: Nope! I have upgraded to Ramen. Life is truly extravagant. :):) 

Funny story quickly. In the Dominican Republic it is not offensive to refer to a person by their color (here tampoco), so for a while I have been Elder White... This got me thinking about Psych a little bit because our relationship is very much like Shaun and Gus. Literally one day we were walking and Elder Medina told me that we were like a pair of detectives searching out people. I responded, "Yeah! Like Sherlock Holmes! Which would make me Robert Downey Jr. and you a black Jude Law." Life is great here. 

Zone Conference

Caution: God Protects Us

Dying in my bed...
Guess who walked face-first into a tree because he wasn't looking where he was going? Lots of blood for a tiny cut... Really, I am ok. The thing that took the biggest blow by far was my pride, and second was the tree that tried impaling me in my eye. Harrumphf. I think I am gonna sneak out in the middle of the night and chop it down. It is a video because Elder Medina had it set to video and I had not idea before I cleaned myself up. Haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment