Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Long-Awaited Baptism

Hi there! :D

This last week was full of ups and downs.

We have been working hard, and it has been a little trying, but in all the right ways. I feel like I am growing a lot as a missionary and as a son of God.

We had a young woman get baptized yesterday who is phenomenal. Her mom has been investigating the church for more than a year but has not been able to get baptized because she isn't married to her boyfriend. She has been praying and praying that her family gets interested, and finally after about 16 months her three daughters decided that they wanted to be a part of this. And yesterday the oldest, Gisel, decided to take the decision.

That also shocked her younger two sisters so much that they said yes to getting baptized the following week without hesitation. They are very excited. But not nearly as excited as the mom of the family. :) We are still working with the dad, and hope that the changes that he sees in his family and as he realized that this something good. We are very hopeful for this family.

I love the ward here. I have never been in a better ward; I can't say it enough! The bishop here is doing a great job of supporting us and asking for help when and where they need it. I never realized before I got here just how crucial it is to have the bishop's trust to make any lasting effect in any given area. We are working a lot with the members trying to find more new families; our investigator pool is looking a little empty.

Elder Fjerstad and I are doing well. Elder Fjerstad stresses. A lot. Which makes him work, talk, walk, and do everything much faster. I am having a hard time keeping upwith him! :) He is a phenomenal missionary, and has grown so much since the MTC. And he was awesome in the MTC too. :) We are working really hard to use the good relationship that we have to improve drastically how we teach and work. This change has been wonderful, and will keep getting better.

Hope that you have an incredible week!
Love,
Elder Kennington

Preguntas Bien Rapidito
Q:  How is your clothing holding out? How are the shoes holding out? 
A:  It is holding out pretty well. The boots are in the best condition. My shoes are more than a little sad, but I just can't bring myself to buy more... :) Haha. The shoes have a lot of sentimental value and I feel like Andy trying to throw away his toys when I think about buying others to use instead... :) 

Q:  What is the biggest challenge being district leader? 
A:  For me, it is having to prepare juntas and direct them. I wish that I had done more acting in High School, because it would really help me to get out there in front of more people. :) 

Q:  Who was the family you were celebrating your birthday with, in the pictures you sent? Please tell them how grateful I am for taking care of my boy for me when I couldn’t be there myself for his big day. 
A:  Will do. :) That was the family that I told you about in the long email, whose oldest daughter got baptized yesterday. They are wonderful. We did a family home evening with them and they did a mini suprise party. :):) 

Q:  Do you feel homesick very often? What do you do to work through it? 
A:  ..... Would you kill me if I said no......? :P:) In terms of thinking about home, that is a daily thing. But in terms of really really missing it and feeling bad because I am not currently there, not so much. I know that here soon I will be back with you. I start feeling a little homesick when I start thinking about leaving Mexico because I know a lot of the people I knew here I likely won't see again in this life. I know at home the vast majority of my friends and aquantances (close and not so much) aren't even thinking about me, so that makes it a little easier. I love you guys so much. :):) 

Q:  Do you ever wear those bright orange soccer shoes you bought? Do you play soccer very often with member families? 
A:  Yep! We play every Monday! Even though I am terrible at futbol I still really enjoy playing it. I will definitely be following it more later on down the road. :) 

Q:  Would you be sad if I didn't do a Christmas package and put money in your checking account instead? Do you have any package wishes? I haven't decided which to do just yet... 
A:  I wouldn't! However is easier and best for you and the family. :) In terms of package wishes, chocolate is always nice. Socks, ties, and stuff like that. I particularly like stripy ties with colors that smack you in the face screaming "HERE I AM LISTEN TO MY MESSAGE AND HAVE A BETTER LIFE." :)

Gisel, Elder Kennington, Elder Fjerstad

Gisel and her family; Elder Kennington, Elder Fjerstad

No comments:

Post a Comment