Monday, October 20, 2014

Hiking and Teaching in San Bartolo

This week has been crazy, but good.

We spent a lot of time in San Bartolo (about an hour's hike from San Mateo) this week with a family that we met Monday. They are really fantastic, and are really receptive to our message. The only trouble we are having right now is getting them to church, because it is so far away.

I had a pretty nasty sick day this week too. I woke up with a fever that wasn't too bad, and I was having an extremely difficult time explaining it to Elder Lanza and asking if he had any Tylenol for it, so I just blew it off. We worked hard that day, walking and talking a TON, and it steadily got worse. Haha... We worked until the end of the day and it was obvious that something was off because I couldn't move faster than a snail. When we got home I immediately took my temperature and it was 104 degrees....Ha ha. My first thought was "no wonder..." and then I fell asleep on my desk. That was an interesting day.

I spent a lot of time studying the Atonement this week because we have lots of investigators who struggle with alcohol and need help changing, and I read Alma 7:11-12:

"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions of every kin; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and sicknesses of his people.

"And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities."

The thought came to me that there are many people that think the Atonement of Christ is for all of God's children.

But this is false.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is for every one of God's children. See, one of the things I have been thinking about is just how beautifully the Atonement applies to every one of us as individuals.  Christ has your name individually engraven in His palms, because it is for YOU that he died. For you, that he suffered in Gethsemane. "...that he me know how to succor his people...."

I am out of time for today, but I want to bear my testimony that I know Christ lives, and that His Atonement is there for you to take advantage of, that you may have more happiness and peace in your life.

I love you all so very much and pray for you each night!
Elder Kennington

This week's Q&A:
Q:  How does the mailing thing work for you?
A: I don't know. It is kind of confusing. I just know right now that I give my letters to the ZL (zone leader) .... :)

Q: How are the shoes holding out?
A:  The shoes are fantastic. I love them so much. Eccos were the right ones to go with.

Q: When are your zone conferences (this is when missionaries get their snail mail)? Have you gotten any of my snail mail letters?
A:   My zone conferences are once a month, I think. And I have gotten one of your snail mail letters... the mail here is so weird.

Q:  What is the weirdest thing you've eaten so far? What is your favorite new food?
A:  Ummmm.... Parts of cows I didn't know even existed. Who knew cows had so much edible rubber? Favorite food? Carnitas. Meat and bread. Yum.

Q:  Do you get to do any sightseeing on P-day? What is a typical P-day like?
A:  We occasionally do sightseeing (like last week). They are full of buying food, haircuts, and other necessities. Like basketball. :) Tell Dad that all the churches here have basketball courts too. Not soccer fields.

I found creepy German from Indiana Jones 1 sunglasses. :)  Not mine, but fun to wear!


Elder Kennington tests out the First Vision filter on his camera...


No comments:

Post a Comment