Monday, February 9, 2015

Elder Kennington on Losing Some and Winning Some

This week was quite the roller coaster.

We worked our tails off, running all over the district trying to help out the other missionaries get some people to church and get some baptisms, and were met with fruits on that front. One other companionship managed to bring seven to church yesterday!

It did come at a price however. We went to go visit one of our recent converts last night (Jairo, my first baptism here) and were met with a rather unpleasant surprise. He had been struggling a little with his testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, and had been messing around on the internet and found all the antimormon stuff there. He believes it 100%. He basically told me to my face that I had betrayed him, and that we had led him astray into an apostate church. I am not going to lie, it was really hard. A testimony of Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon is one of the most valuable things we can have in this life. If you don't have one I would exhort you to work on one. If you have one, I would beg you to maintain it. Keep it fresh and strong.

But it wasn't all bad. For example, we had another baptism yesterday. This man is named Alejandro, and he really is an incredible example of the power of the church. He came to us saying that he wanted to change. The other Sunday he borrowed a triple and a Gospel Principles manual from a member, and then the guy read all of them in less than FIVE DAYS! He came to us basically telling us to let him get baptized yesterday. He really is incredible. He has a testimony, and it has turned his life around 180 degrees, from some of the darkest and most depressing paths.

Elder Thompson and I are really happy right now, working our hardest to continue growing as missionaries. The most important thing that I learned this last week? Baptism is a fruit of conversion. Conversion does not automatically come from baptism.

Gotta run now. Thank you so much for your love and support. I love you all so much and think about you often!
 Elder Kennington

Preguntas Bien Rapidito
Q:  More detail on the state of your clothing please -- socks; shoes; shirts; pants; suit. What is repairable? Popped seams can be fixed….
A:  Have bought a few new socks. They are ok. Actually, have bought the suit too. The pants were beyond repair... I got home one day and was suddenly very grateful I had used a coat all day because I found two massive holes in the bum. Each one about four inches by five. Huge monsters. :) This new suit looks really good. I really like it. Will send pics this Monday.

Q:  Have you caught up on your sleep yet?
A:  NOPE!! :D Haha. Not going to in the mission. Honestly, I am fine with it though. I am accustomed to functioning with minimal sleep. :)

Q:  Have you gotten the package from Aunt Cristina and Uncle Richard yet?
A:  YES! It got here this last Tuesday. Haha. The tie that I am wearing in that last photo that I sent home is one that I got from them. Thank them so so much for me. It made my day. I was having a pretty hard time here, and it came at just the right time. They are the best.

Q:  How are Veronica and Marta doing? Is Veronica settling into the ward?
A:  Sigh... Veronica kind of exploded... One of the hermanans here said something very unkind without meaning to and Veronica took huge offense. We are still trying to get her to answer her door. Haha. She will get back just fine, it will just take time. :) With Marta we are still struggling. She started setting up fake appointments with us, which means that she is either losing interest or is just feeling like what her pastor keeps telling her is right.


See. You can get Little Caesar's Pizza here.

Our zone at zone conference.

Notice the particularly posh tie on the particularly handsome missionary.


We had a baptism!! His name is Alejandro, and he is fantastic. He read the entire triple, and Gospel Principles manual in about five days. The guy was hungry for change. When we asked him how he felt about baptism, he told us that it was something that he really wanted to do this week. ... Heck, we weren´t going to complain! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment